Houston field goal lifts Danger past Texas, 35-33

By Tony Chapman
Staff Writer

They almost left. But, in the end the Nebraska Danger fans were standing up in the aisles on Saturday night. And, they were treated to Joe Houston's improbable, walk-off 16-yard field goal that gave the Danger a 35-33 win over Texas.

All appeared lost when Houston had missed a 29-yard attempt wide left with 31.7 seconds left, but the Danger defense had other ideas. With the ball at their own 5-yard line and down to their third quarterback, Texas gained nine yards in the three plays but Nebraska used all of their timeouts to set up a fourth-and-1 at the Texas 14 with 18 seconds left.

But, Ramonce Taylor — who led a brilliant Revs comeback — bobbled the snap and was tackled for no gain by Aronde Stanton which set up Houston's heroics that came after three straight Texas penalties.

"I'm not really sure how you describe that game," Nebraska coach Mike Davis said. "You have to give Texas a bunch of credit for hanging in there. We couldn't do a thing against them offensively in the second half. We were fortunate to get out of here with a win."

The last minute capped a crazy second half. The Danger had turned a 13-0 first quarter deficit into a 29-13 halftime lead and appeared to be in complete control, but then saw Texas take the lead 30-29 early in the fourth quarter before a wild final six minutes.

After Texas took the lead, Houston connected on 28-yard field goal with 6:17 left that gave the Danger a 32-30 lead. On the Revs' next possession, Zeke Averelo gave Texas what appeared to be the game winner from 31 yards away with 1:48 left.

Little did the Danger know they'd get Houston's second chance after his miss with half a minute left, that sent most Nebraska fans to the concourse to watch the rest of the contest.

"Sometimes the team that plays the hardest doesn't necessarily win," Nebraska coach Mike Davis said. "I thought Texas played much harder than us tonight. They made it really tough on us for most of the game."

The Danger didn't get on the board until quarterback Jameel Sewell's 15-yard scamper with 45 seconds left in the first quarter. He escaped the arms of a pair of Revolution defenders in the backfield while capping a 6-play, 39-yard drive.

Then, the flood gates opened.

On the next Revolution possession, quarterback Jimmy Coy was injured, forcing Texas to play the league's leading receiver Clinton Solomon under center. He was promptly intercepted by Joe Sampson and on the next play the Danger took the lead for good when Sewell connected with Kayne Farquharson for a 35-yard touchdown.

Solomon fumbled on the Revs' next play and that set up Sewell's 11-yard pass to Andre Piper-Jordan and a 21-13 Danger lead. Later in the quarter, the Danger defense added a safety and Sewell would score on a highlight reel 21-yard run with 20 seconds left before the half for a 29-13 lead.

The Danger defense held the Revolution scoreless on five straight possessions, but Texas started to make it interesting in the third. They cut the lead to 29-20 when they switched Ramonce Taylor to quarterback and he connected with Frankie Solomon, Jr. on a 15-yard touchdown pass.

On Nebraska's next possession, Texas blocked a Joe Houston field goal and Jerel Norton returned it 12 yards for a touchdown that cut the lead to 29-27 with 3:23 left in the third quarter. After another stop by the Revs defense, Arevalo gave Texas the lead again at 30-27 on a 22-yard field goal with 10:32 left.

"We played really well in the second quarter, but other than that it was tough sledding," Davis added. "We've still got a lot of work to do offensively, but we've got another break and we hope to get some more guys healthy."

Sewell threw for 168 yards and ran for 59 on just eight carries with Farquharson leading the Danger receiving corps with 73 yards on six catches. Maurice Avery added 70 yards on seven receptions. The Danger (5-2) won their 13th straight home game and will be off next week before hosting Wyoming on April 25.

A special thank-you to our Partners