Nighthawks top Danger 65-48

Nighthawks top Danger 65-48

After starting off the season with a victory, the Danger fell to the Wichita Falls Nighthawks 48-65 at the Heartland Events Center.

Wichita Falls struck first in the game, as wide receiver Jolly Jordan caught a pass and slipped into the end zone to give Wichita Falls the early lead 7-0. The Danger responded quickly, scoring just two minutes later as quarterback Derrick Bernard punched a short run in for a touchdown. Kicker Josh Gable missed the point after attempt leaving Nebraska just short of the tie 7-6 with just over nine minutes left in the first quarter. A touchdown by Dimitri Stimphil for the Danger gave them their first lead of the night on Nebraska's next drive 13-7. Wichita Falls was able to tack another three points onto the scoreboard before the quarter ended with the Danger leading 13-10. The second quarter again saw the teams going toe to toe. Nebraska scored a touchdown with six seconds left in the half. After recovering a fumble on the following kickoff, the Danger missed a field goal to end the half with a score of 26-22.

"I thought we came out really strong in the first half," said head coach Hurtis Chinn. "Derrick (Bernard) was throwing the ball really well and we kept it a one-possession game."

The second half began with both teams scoring touchdowns resulting in the Nighthawks retaining the lead 33-29. However, on the Wichita Falls kickoff, Nebraska was not able to return the ball out of end zone, resulting in a rouge point for the Nighthawks and making the score 29-34. The Danger woes continued as Danger quarterback Bernard threw an interception which Wichita Falls capitalized on quickly with a touchdown making the score 41-29. The Danger answered with a good drive as Bernard rushed for another touchdown cutting the Nighthawks lead to six points, 41-35.

Nebraska started the final quarter of the game with Stimphil hauling in another long throw to the Wichita Falls five-yard line. The Danger punched in the touchdown on the next play coming within two points, 42-44. The Nighthawks then went on a run where they scored two unanswered touchdowns, extending their lead to 16 points 42-58. Both teams scored once more before the end of the game with the final score of 48-65.

"At the end of the day we weren't able to play the defense we needed to win this one," Chinn said. "We have to play better football and limit our mistakes."

The Danger travel to Colorado on March 5th to take on the Crush, before returning home on March 11th against the Sioux Falls Storm.

A special thank-you to our Partners